- Healthiest You
Healthiest You is an application that every healthcare consumer should have, especially if you have an insurance plan with a high deductible. Here are the highlights:
a.) Offers $0 Copay, 24 X 7 access, to board certified Teladoc networked healthcare providers for non-emergent medical care such as treatment for sore throat, upper respiratory disease, pink eye, urinary tract infections, and so much more. This service claims to be able to treat 70% of issues that you would otherwise have to visit a PCP or urgent care center for, saving you time and hundreds of dollars.
b.) Provides a “radar” map in which you can find doctors, veterinarians, pharmacies and clinics near you.
c.) Provides a tool for comparing Rx costs among pharmacies, so cash payers can always find the best price for their prescriptions. In many cases, competing pharmacies may even be able to beat your health insurance co-payment.
d.) Syncs with your current health insurance plan to help you track deductibles and out-of-pocket costs, and find healthcare providers that network with your plan.
e.) Provides a tool to help you determine the approximate out-of-pocket costs for high cost procedures such as imaging and surgery.
f.) Provides a place to store you and your family’s medical history information, so it is easy to find at the touch of a button.
2nd.MD provides direct access to leading medical specialists for personalized second opinions via video or phone.
CareZone helps subscribers manage their health or the health of a family member with tools for managing medications, contacts, files, journals, calendars, to-do’s and more.
Pillsy is smart container technology and a mobile app that makes it easier to manage medications, vitamins, supplements and other pills.
Today I came across Advance Medical – Expert Medical Opinion, an innovative healthcare product that can be purchased by employers, for employees, or individually. Basically, Advance Medical connects people who have complex medical conditions to expert physician case managers who guide patients through treatment, offer expert advice, and help coordinate heathcare among the various different physicians that are involved with treatment.
Having been in the health insurance business for more than 15 years, I can certainly see the value in this service. There’s nothing worse than trying to navigate the healthcare system when you are at your most vulnerable. It appears that this service can lift a huge burden from the shoulders of those who need it most. Having another set of eyes on your case could be a lifesaver!
In this day and age, we are all experiencing an increase in deductibles and out- of-pocket costs when it comes to our health insurance. It seems no matter what the government does to try to fix the problem, the problem continues to get worse. In fact, millions of Americans, although insured, delay care because they cannot afford their out-of-pocket costs.
New technologies are arising to meet the needs of those who have been unable to afford to pay for care due to high deductibles and large copayments. Tele-Medicine is beginning to gain a foothold in the marketplace as an alternative way to save money on care for non life threatening illnesses, urgent care and prescriptions. The advantages of Tele-Medicine applications include:
- Accessibility: 24 X 7 Access to doctors and other certified, insured and credentialed health care professionals
- Convenience: Call from home, office or while traveling, and receive treatment for common diseases without spending a fortune at an urgent care facility. Many health insurance companies in the individual and family markets have cancelled their nationwide PPO plans, leaving you without coverage for minor illnesses while travelling. A tele-doc app can save you money, should you come down with a minor infection while on vacation.
- Low-Cost: Save hundreds or even thousands yearly by addressing most health issues over the phone; $0 copay, low monthly fee.
- Value: Many tele-medicine Apps provide ways to compare costs of prescriptions and procedures at various different pharmacies and health care facilities, respectively. Prescription costs can vary greatly from one pharmacy to another. A well thought out app can empower consumers to make the most of their health care dollars or health savings accounts (HSAs).
- Proactive: Some Tele-Medicine apps provide savings alerts, to let you know, for example, when a current prescription price has changed.
- Educational: Healthy lifestyle and wellness tips, videos and articles are often a part of the service.
Common illnesses that can be treated via Tele-Medicine include:
- Acute bronchitis
- Ear Aches
- Pink Eye
- Sore throat
- Strep throat
- Upper respiratory infections
- Urinary Tract Infections